Eligibility & Referrals
What is the criteria for referrals?
Children can apply for entry to Kindergarten, Pre Primary or Year 1 place and the number of places available varies from year to year.
- The child must have a significant primary language disorder in one or more language areas.
- The child needs to demonstrate evidence of learning potential within the average or above average range.
- The child needs to demonstrate sound adaptive behaviour skills, substantiated by observed descriptive evidence of the child’s behaviour in his/her current educational placement or in his/her home. This is to ensure that children are able to fully access our intensive oral language learning program.
Enrolment to Peel Language Development School is via Referral
How is a child referred to a Language Development School?
- Parents/Caregivers, Speech Pathologists, Psychologists or Teachers can refer children for a Language Development School assessment. These referrals can be made to private Speech Pathologists or to local clinics, such as community health centres or child development centres. Referrals made through the Department of Health may be subject to waiting times so early referral is recommended. Referrals must be submitted by the closing date which is usually the end of Term 3.
- For referral for PP to Year 1, the referral will require a speech pathology assessment, psychology assessment (i.e. cognitive assessment and behaviour checklist), and a completed teacher questionnaire. The collection of this information can take quite some time, detailed reports are required and therefore the process may involve several appointments. This part of the referral is completed by the referring Speech Pathologist (either at the child’s local government Speech Pathology clinic or private Speech Pathology services), the referring Psychologist (which may be a School Psychologist, a government Clinical Psychologist or a private Clinical Psychologist), and the child’s local classroom Teacher (if currently attending school).
- Kindergarten referrals require a Speech Pathology assessment and a completed parent questionnaire for placement. A cognitive assessment completed by a medical officer or paediatrician is also highly recommended.
- Standardised referral packages that contain all necessary forms and information are sent to referring professionals by the local Language Development School each year. Following the initial assessment, a decision is made as to whether the child is appropriate for referral. If it is deemed appropriate the referral information is sent through to the Language Development School.
- Appropriate referrals are prioritised by the Placement Panel. At Peel Language Development School the Placement Panel consists of the Principal, Deputies, Speech Pathologists and the School Psychologist. The Placement Panel usually meets in late Term 3 / early Term 4 of each year (occasionally this may occur at other times of the year as well). All information discussed at the Placement Panel meeting is confidential.
- Parents/Caregivers and referring Professionals are notified of the Placement Panel’s decision mid Term 4.
For more information on enrolment procedures please contact us.